What to expect from a consultation:
Assessment of the client’s functional ability, cognition, transfers, seating, pressure care, falls risk and environment. OT will link with the family and main carers in order to establish what is happening currently and what issues or concerns they have.
OT will then provide a moving and handling plan and a written report with recommendations.
Recommendations can include:
- Advice/instruction on transfer techniques and support needed.
- Advise/instruction on correct use of existing equipment i.e. wheelchair, chair, cushion, bathroom equipment, manual handling aids such as hoist and sling, etc.
- Introduction of new equipment if necessary
- Advice on making changes to the client’s environment
- Further training for family carers and staff for example specific session to instruct carers on a particular topic or piece of equipment